Sunday 3 June 2012

The Great Hawker Named-After-A-Weather-Event Aircraft Group Build Time's Up +3

Good evening,

With the long weekend I've taken time out from what must be done to do that which I would like to do...

I've been pottering along with the Typhoon, adding fuselage invasion stripes (not particularly well, but there you go) and then spending a heap of time patching up the paint where the tape has pulled it away!







Sigh. Got a few more touch ups to do, like straightening up one of those stripes.

I've also been pottering away with the Hurricane.



Still got some touch ups to do with that as well. I discovered that the newsprint from the newspaper I've been painting on is rubbing off on the light coloured undersides of the Hurricane. Hence sitting these on paper towels.

Right, next thing I'm planning will be to varnish the paint first, before the application of the decals removes yet more paint. These aircraft really, really do not like my fingernails!

I've had a quick look for some Klear replacement (specifically Pledge Multi Surface Wax, or some Hold Fast Long Life Shining Floor Polish) with no success. Then I remembered that I picked up some cheap Humbrol acrylic varnish. Might give that a try.

Nick

10 comments:

  1. Good work all around, the Hurricane is looking to be making excellent progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul. Just gotta see if the Humbrol varnish'll work. Should know in the morning...

      Delete
  2. As far as I can tell invasion stripes were pretty rough on the real planes too. No need to go too nuts on the tidying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not too bothered by the imperfections, I'd just like to try so that if the imperfections were scaled up, like on the real thing, they wouldn't be so glaringly obvious! A 1mm mistake scales up to over 7cm on the real thing!

      I've gotta keep thinking "It's just a toy. It's just a toy..."

      :-)

      Delete
  3. Nick my friend, you are doing a mighty job, keep going...

    Cheers,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. To be honest I feel like I've made a bit of a hash of the paintwork, but, well...I've got the canopy on now and it's pretty much ready for the decals, so...then end is in sight!

      Delete
  4. The Hurricane is coming along very nicely indeed. On the tape stripping off paint problem, perhaps you need better quality tape - the best option is Tamiya tape, the pale yellowish stuff, it's very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's now ready for some decals, which are proving to be, well, awkward. Getting 'em lined up either side of the fuselage has been, well, awkward.

      Thanks for the tip with the tape too. You're right of course, I should have got the right stuff, but, well...I'm cheap!

      Delete
  5. You still haven't finished this? Jus grit your teeth and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim! Other stuff got in the way...:-)

      Delete