Here is a brief record, mostly for my own amusement, of a series of FFG Star Wars Edge of the Empire Role Playing Games with my son Matthew, young Moana, his girlfriend, and Andrew his mate from way back.
Anyhow, Matt (playing a Trandoshan called Trayesk - a pre generated character from FFG's free RPG day game Something-Something-Black Sun) and Andrew started the adventure by being pursued by a couple of Stormtroopers down the streets of a minor settlement on Lothal, after Andrew's character, Matwe (another pregen from the same freebie - this was a very much pick-up-and-run-with-it afare using Mythic's GM Emulator random encounter tables. On the fly, like...) had stolen some money to try to help pay off his brothers debt.
Yay for Andrew reading his character's background!
A brief overview...
- First session
- Firefight - a bit of a shoot out with a couple of Stormtroopers, which the PCs won
- Drunk's speeder - I rolled for a random event, it came up as intoxication, so...along careened a drunk in his landspeeder, who falls asleep at the wheel, and piles his speeder into the footpath where the PCs were standing.
- Chase - a brief chase ensued with the Imperials in hot pursuit. The PCs got away surprisingly easily.
- Stop - another random roll, vehicle disables, so I had the speeder stop suddently under the pretext of having the machine auto disable a certain distance from town. An anti theft device, so to speak.
- Friendly stranger - another roll, random friendly stranger - 'twas the friendly droid that was overseeing some larger Ag Droids that were working in the field beside the road. It gives them directions to it's master's farm over yonder hill.
- They crest the hill (I roll - the dude's rich) and they see a prosperous homestead. Complete with a hanger full of vehicles, and a Jumpmaster 5000 parked nearby.
- They kidnap a mechanic, get him to start the ship, throw him out and blow up the hanger as they escape.
- Entering orbit they encounter an Imperial Gozanti Cruiser and its accompanying Ties. (Yes, I was using my X Wing minis!)
- Space fight, they escape into hyperspace. After a number of failed navigation rolls.
- Since their rolls were so poor, I locked them out of computer mid hyperjump as they get a message from the farmer telling them that they are heading to Ord Mantell and the waiting arms of a Trandoshan Bounty Hunter.
- They decide to bail out as they are flying over the barren wastes, Matt's character deciding to shoot up inside ship on the way out.
- Second Session
- Matt and Andrew land safely and meet Moana's character who was also on the same Mesa looking for her patron.
- They see a small settlement over the way, and head down, entering after a brief run in with the locals...who run with their tails between their legs. Turns out that Trandoshans can be quite intimidating.
- They enter the main admin block/hotel/bar/mall for the night, get called down to the bar (another random roll that I interpreted as "The king is dead, long live the king!"
- The new town leader offers them a simple delivery job to one of the main cities, and contacts to get off planet.
- On the way there, they are caught by bounty hunter (who was following the distress signal from the escape pod)
- After another brief chase, Matt backed their speeder into his. Unorthodox way to end pursuit, but quite effective.
- A brief firefight (I had to downgrade their opponent from Nemesis to Rival - they were getting cut up pretty bad!). End result = one dead bounty hunter.
- Third session...
- The crash opened up the boot ("space boot")/cargo compartment at the back of their speeder to reveal...to Andrew's character...a repulsorlift-equipped storage container with a Twi'lek inside. Andrew tries to hid this from the rest of the group ("nothing to do with me...") and attempts to transfer it to the bounty hunters speeder where he had instructed the others to wait. He fails his repulsorlift roll, it crashes down from the edge of the boot, opens up and spills its occupant!
- An [amusing] argument ensues as to what to do with their new passenger. The boys want to keep going with the job as planned, Moana, after Mr-Subtle-GM drops hints to her character that the person she's looking for has also been captured by the same organisation and is in a holding pen back where they came from, trying to convince Matt and Andrew to turn back.
- They do.
- Again, more amusing role play ensues (@ 51:55 above) concerning the plan to subtly roll on up and rescue the girl - or brashly - "I'm a Trandoshan. That's what I do!" - and they manage to get into the warehouse uncontested. Thanks to some clever coercion and intimidation.
- I had them all set up for a fire fight, but, after conning their way in and actually getting the girl - who was a little old lady, in point of fact - they grab the "boss" (actually, an underling - consider him middle management) and Triumphantly escape back into the streets of the settlement.
- 'Twas a very entertaining session.