I have just received some magnets in the post courtesy of a very nice lady via Trade Me. Here's what I have in mind.
A piece of dowel cut to 42cm (the 1/72nd scale equivalent of 100 feet), a...ummm, I think they are 'sposed to go under furniture or sofas or something, both courtesy of Bunning's Warehouse, and a couple of magnets - one for the stick, one for the Typhoon.
Can't seem to find my super glue, so I'll try a hot glue gun from school. Certianly for the dowel 'n magnet. Not how sure that'll work with the model itself...and now is not the time for experimentation! I wonder if PVA'd do it...
Right, next step...get these school portfolios finished - they've gotta go home on Friday. Then we'll see what we will see...
Well, I've finally got the decals on. I forgot how fiddly decals can be - this lot took me about three sessions!
And as I was doing it, I discovered that the wing walks were already provided as decals - I didn't need to mask 'n paint them after all!
Interestingly, the canopy doesn't sit right - the pilot's in the way. So it's ever so slightly off centre. Don't tell anyone! There is practically no indication on the canopy itself to even attempt painting the front shield frames, so...I didn't.
Now all I gotta do is some light weathering and get some of that decal stuff from Andy to take the shine off, so to speak.
And to start decalling the Hurricane.
What have I learnt through all this? Lightly undercoat the whole plane first before trying to paint on thin acrylic paint!
With the long weekend I've taken time out from what must be done to do that which I would like to do...
I've been pottering along with the Typhoon, adding fuselage invasion stripes (not particularly well, but there you go) and then spending a heap of time patching up the paint where the tape has pulled it away!
Sigh. Got a few more touch ups to do, like straightening up one of those stripes.
I've also been pottering away with the Hurricane.
Still got some touch ups to do with that as well. I discovered that the newsprint from the newspaper I've been painting on is rubbing off on the light coloured undersides of the Hurricane. Hence sitting these on paper towels.
Right, next thing I'm planning will be to varnish the paint first, before the application of the decals removes yet more paint. These aircraft really, really do not like my fingernails!
I've had a quick look for some Klear replacement (specifically Pledge Multi Surface Wax, or some Hold Fast Long Life Shining Floor Polish) with no success. Then I remembered that I picked up some cheap Humbrol acrylic varnish. Might give that a try.