Sunday 11 April 2010

Crossfire Kiwis

Good afternoon,

Well, I've just discovered washes. Citadel's Devlan Mud, to be precise. Andy Gorman suggested that it would be a quick way to paint up some Esci WW2 Brits (as Kiwis - they were all using the same equipment, after all), and low and behold, so it has proven to be!





In fact, these figures are probably the quickest I have ever been able to apply paint to. Having only 6 colours also helped. Well, 7 if you count the Dark Flesh that I applied to the second platoon before applying the Bronzed Flesh.

  1. Citadel Chaos Black undercoat

  2. Vallejo Dark Flesh

  3. Vallejo English Uniform using a very heavy dry brush (actually, a lightly applied wet brush)

  4. Vallejo Middlestone for the webbing

  5. Vallejo Beasty Brown for the weapon furniture and water bottles

  6. Vallejo Olive Grey for the helmets and Piat guns

  7. Vallejo Chainmail Silver for the, well, silver bits

  8. Citadel Bronzed Flesh highlight

  9. Heavy wash of Citadel Devlan Mud

  10. Highlight/Dry brush of the English Uniform and Middlestone respectively

...and Bob's your uncle. (Well, Brian's my uncle...it's just a turn of phrase...how do you turn a phrase?)

Andy helped me with the first platoon (three bases - 9 figures) in one evening last week, and I completed a further 9 of the boys yesterday and based them this morning. For me, that's lightning quick!

(They definitely needed those final highlights, they were looking quite dark without it).

For WW2, I'm pretty sure this is the way to go. For figures where I want a nice bright finish (like my VSF) I'm probably going to stick to my layered approach...mind you, a combination of a bright highlight over the wash...yeah, that might work...

Speaking of VSF, I'm thinking of getting hold of G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. for some skirmishing using my Airboat, Steam Tank and upcoming Electric Artillery and Steam Buggy Rider HOTT elements. Can you use Airboats in G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T.?

Nick

4 comments:

  1. Pretty sharp Nick, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul,

    Watched a bit of a game of Command Decision this afternoon (Bosnians vs. Serbs vs. UN - very cool 20mm minis). How do you like the rules?

    Stan and I are looking at additional rules with which to use the Crossfire stuff...

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Nick, still getting my head around the rules for CD, but they seem to be well thought out.

    I played a CD WW1 game a while ago and it seemed to flow alot more smoothly than my last foray, perhaps because we had one less player and hardly no armour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul,

    Yes, getting your head around new rules, which can be a little frustrating at times.

    Saw a bit of a CD game. It did seem to move a little slowly, but then there were three players, and a couple of them didn't seem to know the rules very well, so...

    Robin Sutton is a big fan of Great War Spearhead for WW1.

    Keep up the good work!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete