Friday 31 December 2010

EIR Praetorian Infantry

Good afternoon,

Just before I settle down to write the second part of last night's battle report, I thought I'd take a quick few pickies of the Early Imperial Roman Warmaster Ancients Praetorian Infantry unit that I've just completed.


Simply Esci EIR's with Italeri Republican Roman shields. Apparently the Praetorians looked pretty much like regular grunts but with oval shields, aka this...


(Andrew J. Brozyna of Ferrous Lands drew that! I also found this very inspirational.)

So cool, I thought, I can do this. I plowed through my left overs (hence the Airfix figures - and the one Esci standard bearer that was chopped off his base. He was too tall otherwise...), asked Stan if he had any shields left over from his Italeri Republican Roman figures, and 9 months later...




You may notice the difference in the painting style of a couple of the figures. A couple are just block painted from way back, with the rest having been painted this year. I think the later figures look much better than the former.

Personally, I like the grunts the best, which brings me to another revelation - my EIR infantry have waaaayyyy too many command figures. Like my elements for my EIR Legionary units for WMA are comprised of 1 Legate + officer (or Centurion) + 2 standards, then 1 Centurion + Vexillia + 2 grunts, and then 4 grunts. Ha! Just 6 grunts to do the donkey work for the whole unit! Thats what you get when you stick to using what you already have instead of buying more figures to correct the relative proportion of troops!

(Which is my overall wargaming philosophy - I've got next to no money for my hobby, so I make the most of what I've already got!)

Now to finish the rest of the Romans - the last six elements of Legionaries, a couple of Cav command elements and four Eastern Archer Ps.

Cheers,

Nick

6 comments:

  1. Psssst, Nick. Can I get a credit on the Praetorian drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, yeah, ok, if you like. Why? (Says he who can't remember where he copied it from the web...)

    Did you draw it then? It's pretty cool!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shields are brilliant Nick!!!

    Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I drew it based on a photo of a Roman reenactment group in Italy. You got it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link Andrew, that's where I got it from!

    And again, nice work.

    I'll change the URL my copy of your picture links to.

    Cheers,

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  6. And thanks Rich, I think they are pretty cool too.

    The design is molded onto the shields, I just dry brushed them to bring them out.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete