Sunday 8 January 2012

More WW2 German Heavy Weapons

Good afternoon,

During our great Christmas Crossfire Conflagration I noticed that Stan (like, I - he was using my figures) didn't have enough mortar elements on board. I know, they don't have to be modeled on board, but they look so cool! They're also useful to remind you that you've got mortars, and to have something to keep the number-of-fire-missions-left-to-fire die besides.

So, since still had enough for two more stands from last time, I pulled them together.



Along with two more tripod'd MG42 HMGs.



These camouflage patterns take so much longer than the Kiwi's Khaki. (And I still haven't really got them right). No wonder the Germans lost - apart from biting off more than they could chew (and the regime being so very evil), they made stuff unnecessarily complicated - just look at their later tanks.

(Actually, it would be interesting to see if anyone has done a study on the relative effectiveness of WW2 camouflage/battle dress - was the extra effort really worth it?)

Nick

16 comments:

  1. And nice for Spearhead as well ... where you DO model 3"+ mortars on table.... mwahahahahahahaha

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great and I agree, it is good to have something to keep the number of fire missions marker next to.

    What make are these figures please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Robin.

    Yep, I had Spearhead in mind when I was pulling them together...

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Thanks, your Crossfire stuff is looking good too. What size bases are you using? I'm using 40mm by 40mm, slightly bigger than they should be, only because I think they look better a little more dispersed.

    Also means I've got room for the four figures for these HMGs and 81mm mortars - four dice each in Crossfire.

    They are from the Armourfast 99006 and 99007.

    Also got the HaT Brit mortar...

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Nick. German cam is a bit tricky. I like the Italian pattern used by them, nice colours and simple schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Paul, I'll check out this Italian German camo of which you speak.

    Cheers,

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! It reminds me of the NZ DPM outfits of the '80s!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've now settled on 30mm bases fro infantry which gives an ok 3 figure base. Only lying down figures cause grief. I then use multiples of 30mm for heavier equipment. AT gun is on a 60mm square while the 105 I'm currently working on is 90mm. Gives a decent space for a diorama and also allows nearly all the model to fit with the size of the base.

    Ah, basing. It has been a long struggle to come up with something I'm happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, really nice units! Wouldn't want to be facing that heavy weaponry down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks boys,

    Sun of York - 30mm by 30mm is more compatible with other systems. I've been looking at Spearhead using my Crossfire bases...looks like I'll have to add another third onto my movement rates to compensate for my bigger bases!

    Adept - no, neither would I. You gotta rate the ones who did...

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers Monty.

    You got a great deal on that DVD package. Good spotting!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look damn good, nice work sir.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Fran.

    Your Soviet command stand is brilliant!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good work on those Nick, enjoying your WW2 output with AARs too. Keep up the good work.

    jacksarge

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers Bro!

    Those 17 pounders of yours look great. Might have to slot them in somewhere in the long term plan...hang on, I've got a long term plan?!

    ReplyDelete