Sunday 20 January 2013

Early Greek Hoplites Done...

...for the time being, anyway.

Good evening,

Here are the final four elements of my first Early Greek Hoplite DBA army...




...all from one box of Zvezda figs.

And here they are all together.






All I need to do now is paint a Ps, a Bw, a LH and an Ax and I'll have a [generic] I/52 Early Hoplite Athenian Greek Army c. 540-450BC.

But no need to hurry these things now, is there. These have been sitting around for about 10 years to date...

Talking of things to do, I was watching/listening to this as I was pottering away with these figs...


...and it occured to me that this could easily be converted into a Crossfire scenario. One company, three sections...hmmm...perhaps some plastic Brit airborne troops at some point...

Speaking of things future, I was just reading this, and I thought...hmmm, I've got me all those Zombies!!! zombies, and I've always wanted an excuse to get me a handful of moderns and vehicles...and maybe even some 20mm metal zombies...grin...

Has anyone tried/can recommend some good Zombie rules?

Nick

17 comments:

  1. Nice work... I am still languishing in the painting blues again... gah!!

    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was quick Robin, I hadn't quite finished writing the post!!

      Well, one can game, or one can paint. It's a rare thing to be able to do both!

      Delete
    2. I was planning on painting a Medieval DBA army or two in 20mm.. I have a couple of boys at College who like that period, & a couple of appropriate armies would inspire them even more .. but have managed exactly.. NOTHING .. oh well.

      R

      Delete
    3. You could always use your Chaos HOTT army...

      Delete
  2. Very nice work, colors are great!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. It was quite relaxing pottering away with these.

      Delete
  3. I like them. Antiquity was colourful and your hoplites to transport that sort of "ancient" flair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thomas. Yep, I likes me ancients purddy!

      Delete
  4. Those hoplites look brilliant Nick, really eye catching and colourful- well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. They do make quite a contrast to my WW2 Kiwis!

      Delete
  5. These are very fine figures - but I won't look at them again in case I am temmmmpted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! They were quite relaxing to pull together.

      Delete
  7. Great looking paint job Nick!

    I've also been looking for a good set of Zombie gaming rules and have been doing some searching/reading/researching and I think (when payday rolls around) that I'm going to pick up a copy of "All Things Zombie". You may want to look it up, and btw, you can get it on Amazon.

    Also, quick question: After you finish painting your figures, what do you finish them with? Varnish etc? I haven't painted in years and the figures I painted back then weren't finished with anything and are flaking very badly.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, I've been looking at ATZ, though min'd be a pdf -freight from Amazon to En Zed is almost as much as the book itself!

      To be honest, I've been a bit lazy and only sporadically spraying on a varnish. The most effective is either PVA or polyurethane floor polish like Cabots. Search Cabots on the blog and you should find something about it.

      Delete
    2. It's another reason I play DBA/HOTT/WMA/Crossfire/Spearhead - all my figures are on group bases, which limits the handling of the figs themselves.

      If I go zombies, I'll have to varnish my figures more thoroughly.

      Delete