Friday 2 January 2015

Painted Parthians and Persians

Good afternoon,

And a glorious afternoon it is too. A balmy 25o celsius (about 77o fahrenheit) with a gentle warm breeze. Just lovely.

But enough of the weather down here in Christchurch [NZ], here are my first finished and painted Parthians and Persians.



(Those four HaT Parthian foot archers that I was using as Sarmatian foot, but that Stan was using as Parthian archers don't count - they're Sarmatians! Well, they were...I've drafted them back into the Parthian army!)

First up, Parthian Light Horse.



HaT Light Parthian Cavalry.

Now, my Early Achaemenid Persian skirmishing infantry. Who I think I'm also planning to use for their later army as well.



Zvezda Persian Infantry.

Here we have [looking up the DBA 3 army list] one element of Daylami. [Suddenly has an idea, and actually looks up what Daylami infantry look like]. Oh, so that's what they should look like. Ah well, these'll do.



A couple of Hat Parthian infantry (from their Heavy Cavalry set), alongside a HaT Frank and a Revel Saxon.

Then two elements of city militia.



HaT Franks, a Revel Saxon and a Emhar Saxon.

Finally, some Hyrkanian mountaineers. Plus an extra to make it a Warmaster Ancients unit. (I guess I could field the city militia as an under strength unit...)



More HaT Parthians and Revel Saxons. Oh, and a HaT Frank holding the HaT Parthian standard from their Light Cav set.

I tried something a little different for their bases. I mixed up a couple of flocks (one a nice well watered green, one a parched yellow) on top of some spots of painted-and-highlighted sand. I figured that since both armies are listed as arable, their grass can't be all dead and crispy. I think they came out ok.

Nick

11 comments:

  1. Cool! Great to see you having some fun with your ancients collection :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Yes, DBA 3 has given my ancients mojo a bit of a boost. Those Persian skirmishers had been undercoated for years!

      Spot one of your old Saxons.

      Delete
    2. Hehe, I did wonder if that was one of those old Saxons.
      Glad you're enjoying your holidays in fine style.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful units...and great basing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. It occurred to me that nine elements is three quarters of a DBA army...'cept these are for two different armies, and the archers and 3Ax are actually an either/or troop choice - and I'm more likely to field the LH option anyway!

      Delete
  3. Nah they are good Nick. I bet its good to get these out of the way.

    The bases look very nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. A small drop in the ocean, but a drop nonetheless!

      Delete
  4. Not my era but very nicely painted figs Nick, cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al. Not quite as epic as your Handley Page, but I like them!

      Delete
  5. Excellent painted army Nick! You gave me some ideas with these!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Glad I could be of assistance!

      Delete